The TOP500 news out of Frankfurt is huge: Tianhe-2 has been knocked off its #1 perch by a system nearly three times faster.
You read that right.
Industry leader Shahin Khan of OrionX joins the Radio Free HPC team – Rich Brueckner, Henry Newman, and Dan Olds – to talk about the new king of the hill, the Sunway TaihuLight System in Wuxi, China.
Listen in as Rich expertly runs through its specs and Dan… well, Dan dubs it “Tail Light.”
From Radio Free HPC:
- Linpack: 93 Petaflops (Rmax)
- Peak performance: 125.4 Petflops (Rpeak)
- Processor: Sunway SW26010 1.4 GHz processor
- Cores per socket: 260
- Instruction Set: RISC instruction set developed by Sunway
- Interconnect: their TOP500 submission says “Sunway design” but Mellanox supplied the Host Channel Adapter (HCA) and switch chips. Sunway may not call it InfiniBand, but that is exactly what it is. China has political reasons for characterizing the overall system domestic technology.
- Cabinets: 40 Water-cooled cabinets, each with 3 Petaflops of peak performance
- Power consumption: 15.27 Megawatts
- Mflops/watt: 6051
Posted In: Latest News, ISC 2016 Frankfurt
Tagged: supercomputing, HPC, Dan Olds, TOP500, ISC'16, TaihuLight, Radio Free HPC, Rich Brueckner, Henry Newman, Shahin Khan, ISC 2016